Avast ye lubbers, it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, arrrrrr!
And that's it. Here ends my observation of Interational Talk Like a Pirate Day, the stupidest holiday ever invented.
The concept works in theory, but the problem is nobody actually knows how to talk like a pirate. The pirate words in the vernacular of 90% of people are avast, lubber, arrr, and bastardized verb conjugation, so after they say the sentence above, they're tapped. Various sailing words may also be known (hoist the mainstay or something) but half the people saying them don't know what they mean, and also, we're not on a fucking boat.
And so, "International" Talk Like a Pirate Day usually consists of one guy telling everyone around "Arrr, ye must talk like a pirate for it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day!" and everyone else either thinking he's an idiot or saying "Avast!" and forgetting about it until the cycle repeats next year.

So if you're gonna celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day (the "Inter" is inexplicable to me--I blame the Internet), do it with gusto! All day! If someone tries to kick your geeky ass, just yell "Parlay!"
Otherwise, I have a few alternate yet related holidays to suggest that I would much rather celebrate:
- National Don't Bother Showering (Like a Pirate) Day
- Go Swimming Day
- National Steal Crap From People Day
- National Have Sex With Johnny Depp Day
- International Close Your Lips Day (in honor of Keira Knightly)
- Grope a Serving Wench Day
I think you have officially lost it. Must have been all the alcohol last night....
ReplyDeleteShut up, I have great ideas.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is Grope a Serving Wench....
ReplyDeletenot really, the have sex with Johnny Depp Day is more like it.
I get to be first because it was my idea. You can go second. And last.
ReplyDeleteJust as long as I'm allowed a fair turn on International Have Sex with Johnny Depp Day, I'm all for it. Especially if we can throw in International Have Sex with Orlando Bloom Day - "he is," after all, "a pirate," as Elizabeth tells her dad.
ReplyDeleteOh my god. The "national close your lips day" made me laugh so hard. My poor parents are really wondering what is wrong with me. I thought the same thing about Kiera Knightly. Damn, woman. Shut that mouth of yours. Oh man, good times.
ReplyDeleteThe Johnny Depp one sounds pretty good though. Along with "grope a serving wench"... I could have fun with that.
I'll let you two to your sloppy seconds. I'll invent WDL have sex with Adrien Brody day. That is hot.
ReplyDeleteIt is better than National Smoke Out Day. What a waste.
xo,
WDL
Pedantic E - Every day is Sex with Orlando Bloom Day!
ReplyDeleteHavoc - THANK YOU! Lips Day was my favorite one too.
WDL - I'll never understand people's attraction to Adrien Brody... with his beady eyes and gigantoid nose and being all wasted looking all the time... http://www.filmfestivaltoday.com/uploadedimages/cannes-brody.jpg
But that's just me.
Srsly wtf.
No, Adrian Brody is cute. He doesn't look wasted, he looks sad. Probably sad about his nose. :(
ReplyDeleteI'd like to be sixth in line for Have Sex with Johnny Depp Day, if ya'll don't mind.
More like sad about being an ugmo.
ReplyDeleteI'd still get on it. And the nose.
ReplyDeleteBig nosed Jew boys totally do it for me. Perhaps I'm narcissistic....
Ooh, is that so?
ReplyDelete*sidles up*
Hey, what's your name?
.....ADRIEN BRODY IS THE HOTTEST BOY EVER. I'm currently watching him in Hollywoodland. If you don't like Adrien Brody then you...don't like French Canadian faces then.
ReplyDeletekvn, you could practice on me until you get brody. or i get brody. but i practice on myself a lot.
ReplyDeletedid i just say all of that outloud?
xo,
WDL
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete