Ok so I know I barely blog anymore goityvm. So I don't know if I've ever told you before, but one of the things in this fast-paced city of neon and chrome that makes me smile and softens my disposition without fail is this Jehovah's Witness who's often around the library or subway stop with her Watchtowers doing.... whatever it is they waste their time doing all day.
Anyway, she's super nice and always smiling and has a dowdy dress and a gap in her teeth, and I just love her. One day a few months back, I started smiling and nodding as I walked by, and she would smile and nod back and kind of gesture with her Watchtower and look really appreciative that I wasn't ignoring her like everybody else on the street. But I mean, obviously they are! Hello, nice lady, you're in midtown and everybody is late for work so nobody has time to become a Jehovah's Witness right now. Perhaps Jehovah can make an appearance at Starbucks, people will witness him there... and think it's just the caffeine.
I digress ANYWAY our relationship has progressed, and in about August the vixen slyly added a vocal element wherein she quietly says "Good morning!" and I say "Hi there!" Then there was a "How are you?" I'm telling you, it's intense. I see her up the street, and I prepare myself mentally for the experience. I have to stop daydreaming, compose myself, make sure my hair's ok, and then have a smile ready. It would be stressful if the payoff weren't so good.
Right, but like all good relationships in my life, I may have ruined it forever this morning. Today I decided I wanted to add an element, and short of stopping to chat (too risky while Jesus is still in her life) there aren't many options but a hand wave. Fine, good, hand wave it is. Unfortunately, I had things in both of my hands this morning, but I figured it didn't matter and that the gesture would still be appreciated.
The biggest stress in this morning's greeting preparation was choosing which hand to wave with, but I couldn't decide and was getting closer and closer and oh crap it's too late so as I said hi I recklessly chose and raised my left hand into the air, kinda awkwardly and a little too close to her face.
My left hand... the hand that was at the time holding a large and eye-catchingly reflective copy of the book The God Delusion. Big black letters IN YOUR FACE, JEHOVAH'S WITNESS! I know she saw it because as the book's silver cover shined a soft patch of sun on to her face, there was a moment of comprehension. She had, and I apologize for the pun, seen the light.... the light that says "THIS IS A FILTHY ATHEIST GAY BOY JEW!"
I played it cool and just lowered my arm and tried not to let go of the smile, but I was mortified. I didn't MEAN to deliver a message like that to her. I've officially pushed my 'beliefs' on her a million times more than she has on me. Yes, I've seen her book more than she's seen mine, but I don't even know what a Jehovah's Witness fucking is. This woman now knows my soul (or lack thereof) and I may have lost my daily happiness forever now.
In conclusion, it's true that atheists will never find satisfaction. May the Lord deliver me.... whatever that means.
what happened to cute café boy?
ReplyDeleteUgh NOTHING, I haven't run into the kid since Thursday last.
ReplyDeleteBut I reviewed his place on Yelp, so maybe he'll see it CROSS YOUR FINGERS!
Holy crap, why are you reading my blog? Are you STILL not at work? ... Did you buy anything at Macy's???
P.S. BOGS what the fuck just happened to my Google homepage, it's hideous!
ReplyDeletewhat the hell is a google homepage? I have the NYT as mine, and its fine you should switch to be like me. okthxbie.
ReplyDeleteWDL
It's better than effing NYT because a) it's not pretentious (like you care so much about the world) and b) it's got my e-mail, news feeds, book review feeds, my blog feeds, a place to post to my facebook/twitter/all those, AND a little babelfish translator for when I need a quick word or two on the job. Librarian 2.0, dude. Why don't you go put on your hardhat and build some more shelves, I'm busy here being connected to the river of information we youngun's know as the Internet.
ReplyDeleteshe probably wasn't that offended. I don't think you ruined your love with her. But if you did, at least it's one less awkward wave in the morning...
ReplyDeleteI don't want one less awkward wave!
ReplyDeletegoityvm?
ReplyDeletewhah???
PS don't be bitter that i'm building my SECOND library while you are sitting in a dank basement cataloging smelly sheet music.
okthxbie.
So not feeling this as a problem.
ReplyDeleteBecause she's NICE and I don't want her to stop being nice to me.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen her since. I probably ran her out of town.