MoMI! I'm hungry MoMI!

Now is the time I tell you about what I did this weekend.

Imitation Whales

Those are real. I saw them at the Entenmann's outlet in Astoria. Sorry about the shitty iPhone quality but prepare yourself for more because I just discovered how fun it can be to use the camera on there even though it's slowly lowering people's standards of beauty one hastily-delivered photo at a time. Yeah, I said it, the iPhone takes shitty pictures so if you hear someone being struck by lightning in the next 20 seconds it's probably me.

Anyway the main events this weekend involved the reopening of the Museum of the Moving Image. Babcock got us a dual membership, and we went to the disorganized and poorly-executed opening party Saturday night. It was supposed to start at 8, so we got there at 7:50 and there was a line around the corner because nobody was allowed in.

They opened the doors 20 minutes late, and a giant bouncer (museum bouncer) was letting people in 6 at a time.... to wait in another line.... and then you had to wait in yet another line for food and drink tickets. So it took us 45 minutes just to get inside (P.S. it's winter) and instead of screwing the people with 8:30 events (which would've worked nicely), they pushed everything back, but each room was pushed back a different amount of time so no matter where you went, you were probably waiting 40 minutes for your thing to start.

Luckily, not a lot of things were worth seeing, so there was plenty of time to meander. You would think a film museum with a gigantic archive would have plenty to offer in terms of screening entertainment, but too much of it was installation crap like "aura dancing" where you could dance in front of a projector and someone with a laptop would drag colors over you. You could even see the little cursor. Art school crap like that.

Also the wine was terrible, guys, like spew.

Chiho Aoshima: City Glow

Happily, the museum itself is pretty sweet. That's a picture of an animated mural in the entryway called City Glow. Very sexy. It was fun to watch that 30 times while waiting in line for tickets we ordered ahead of time. The exhibits are pretty too, though they haven't finished labeling everything.

Deanna Durbin...

The best room to be in was the .... room kinda off to the left. They had a rotation of DJs and chiptune artists, and most of it was worth hearing. It's also where the hot caterer was. Babcock and I spent most of our time in there talking about our relationship and watching this guy paint video on the wall.

If you are wondering who is talking at the end and ruining everything, it is Babcock. Also that scarf on the dude's head is ATTACHED TO THE SWEATER, sorry to blow your minds so early in the week guys.

2 comments:

  1. To feed your ego, I will simply say that I lolled at "P.S. it's winter."

    ReplyDelete