Crossing the Universe Without a Rest Stop

So I walked into work today and wished my coworker Liz a Happy Halloween only to have her tell me that it's still only Tuesday and this week will NEVER END, much like Julie Taymor's Across the Universe.

Kitty Box
Across the Universe

Ok, maybe that's a little h a arsh because parts of it were really good, but in all it had no coherence and was just one musical sequence after another, some of which were good and some of which were "crazy stuff for the sake of crazy stuff and why the hell are there 5 women standing on the ocean right now, I thought this was about the 60's not a pirate ghost story."

I also found it really unnecessary to give the characters cutsey names like Jude and Lucy and Prudence just so other people could sing those songs.

It was very Julie Taymor, who my (new) friend Sam commented "has a good eye, but no taste," which I found a succinct and elegant way of saying it. She's really hit or miss. I did like Frida and heard good things about Grendel, the opera. Anyway, but the acting was ok, the music was great (I've discovered I like the Beatles as long as it's not them singing), and some things worked really well, so I'll give it 2 stars, and to be nice, I won't tell you how many that's out of.

I had something else really important to tell you, and I was planning this great entry on the subway all about it, but now I can't remember. Instead, read this: Jesse Owens: Great American Zero. My friend wrote it.

3 comments:

  1. Bahahaha, my friend is begging for me to go see it with him. Which is weird, and maybe I'll just invite him to come to my house instead. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it, and I trust you more than anyone because you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have Kevin firmly in my evil, yet cute, little claws, it's time to start enslaving his friends...

    When you gunna write for me, handsome?

    ReplyDelete