Hee hee, you said dick

There was this score for a piece called Requiem, but it was clear that it wasn't a real requiem, so I had to read the text to find out if it was secular or sacred. But the text was in Icelandic, which appears to be the hardest language ever. The lyricist's name is Íslenskar Þjóðvísur, and I thought "It sounds like his mother was getting brutally stabbed when she named him."

I'm sick and didn't feel like getting up, so I found a free Icelandic-English translator online that didn't know shit. It kept most of the words in Icelandic except "mossy bruise", which... yuck.

Whatever, that's retarded, so I went to the closet and got a dictionary and started looking shit up. No matter how hard I tried, the most coherent translation I could come up with was: "Well-rested [as after a good night's rest], the beautiful dandelion goes out to pasture. [There is a] mouse under the moss, [and] the blurriness gives birth to cows and sheep."

Unless that's some sort of Icelandic idiom that means "Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them", I'm gonna go ahead and say that Icelandic is fucked up. I went with "secular" and decided that Björk's music must be pretty mundane and straightforward in her country.

To conclude, I still have this horrible cold, so I can't think of anything amusing to say except to relate boring stories about being a librarian.

Also, I just realized the post before this was number 100, and I should have had a huge party with cake and Paris Hilton would be there, but I got sick and had to cancel it.

2 comments:

  1. if you are REALLY curious what that stuff means send it to me and I'll get in touch with my resident Icelander.

    ReplyDelete