in the what?'s first current event

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6042306.stm

I'm fine, you can stop calling really.

This happened a few blocks south me, which is alarming, yes, but my apartment is fine, my stuff is fine, my cat is fine if still rather retarded. (I hope the boom scared her real bad, she ripped a shirt I like.) So I appreciate all the voicemails I will be going through when I get off work, but I'm fine. I would have answered, but I got tired of telling people who don't know exactly where I live all about how I'm not affected.

And for future reference, I don't live in a high rise. I'll never be rich enough to live in a high rise. So for the rest of my life, the only airplanes small and agile enough to crash into my building will be paper or remote-controlled.

I'm embarassed to admit that my first thought when my boss told me a plane just hit a building that might be mine was "Again? Plane terrorism is so tired, have an original thought people." My second thought was "Damn, it'll be a bitch to get home today." And it wasn't until my third that "Those poor people, I hope everyone's ok" passed on through. So chastize me for my fabulously selfish priorities, but at least I'm up front about it. It's no worse than people who take disasters as an opportunity to show off how "sensitive" and "compassionate" they can be by writing in their blogs and pasting on their sad face and "Oh, puppy" voices while doing nothing to actually help.

I have someone in mind, and she was driving me nuts a little bit ago, that's why. Cut the crap, you think being nice makes you a good person?

Some schools let out, which I guess makes some amount of sense but not, y'know, a lot. I'm still at work, and my cat's probably breathing in smoke and toxic dust particles through my open bathroom window, so I've even got half a reason to get outta here, but please. What are they gonna do, go clog the streets like silly gawkers at a disaster site? I guess maybe some of the kids may have lived there, so obviously history class is a low priority... But everyone else? I dunno. The world shuts down way too easily these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment