In honor of not posting in a week, I'm going to provide a link to an article a week old because I only found it today, and it really pisses me off.
Italian court: Not a virgin? Sex crimes not as serious
Whether or not you agree, I'm sure it's fairly clear why this is repugnant to me. The effects of sexual assault on a person are absolutely not related to any previous attitude towards or experience with sex. This ridiculous ruling is akin to the "She was dressed like a slut, she had it coming" defense.
So apparently, raping a virgin is abominable, and you'll be punished to the fullest extent of the law. But raping a non-virgin is just kinda rude, but whatever, they'll be fine, here have a slap on the wrist and remember that next time you assault someone, just make sure she's had sex before.
The intent is the same. Sex offenders are sick, and to say that one gets to walk free after a couple years just because his victim happened to have had sex like most people eventually will doesn't even make sense. I mean there's no logical basis to it. I'm sure this freak really took that into consideration. "Hmmm, I wish to commit a crime. I'd better find a victim with experience so they don't feel so bad about being violated."
Rape is devestating to anyone regardless of gender, orientation, sexual proclivity, and all of those other little factors people like to use to make people sound different. This ruling is a smack in the face to everyone who has gone through what this poor 14-year-old and countless other people have. Nobody has the right to undermine anyone's feelings about an experience like that.
This court has effectively told thousands of sexual assault victims to "get over it" on top of vindicating the actions of thousands of offenders. This ruling is ignorant and offensive. Shame on you. How dare you? We can't just get over it. It hurts the same no matter what's in your past. Don't pretend like you know the first thing about it.
thanks. I wish more people would read this. c.
ReplyDelete