Poor, unfortunate souls

This week's Lil Depressed Boy actually made me kinda wanna sorta cry. The strip is always sad (and often very pretty), but this one really upset me, and now I need a peppermint mocha to put me in a good mood again.

Everyone knows what it's like when the world does something really crappy to you at the perfect moment when you're already having a magnificently crappy day or week or month or life and all you want to do is enjoy one thing and pretend it isn't horrible for one second. It leaves you with nothing, and you feel like there is nothing left. You can't even savor your last moment of joy because it already passed a long time ago.

Those are the times I believe in a higher power. Maybe it's the need for something to blame, but I can't help but feel that during times like that, Something is pulling the strings and smiling in that sickening way. I imagine God looks a lot like this.

The reason this particular issue of Lil Depressed Boy struck me so hard was because I had a day like that about a week ago. I was having a serious sadness problem, and everywhere I turned for something uplifting, there was Ursula making merry with my emotions. It felt like everything I had was gone and I'd never be happy again. I felt like I was going to cry at work and left early.

Oh, I'm not depressed or anything. I got over it. But seeing Lil Depressed Boy get his sunrise ruined made me remember all the bad, and for a minute, it tried to creep into my head again saying "Ooooooooh! We never really went away!"

But I'm not letting that happen today, no sir! Today, I'm steering the broken mast of my ship right into the fleshy gut of that made up higher power and striking her down with my lightning bolts made of pepperminty, caffeiney mocha-goodness! My ship is called the S.S. I-Am-Totally-Moving-to-New-York-and-Starting-a-New-Life. My mocha is called Suzanne.

In completely unrelated news, I changed my display name to a different nickname that is not an inside joke with one person nobody knows who I haven't talked to in 3 years. This is the last time I'll change it, I promise. I know how it irks you so. I'm sorry if you lose sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Was just running a search for LDB stuff when I came accross your blog.

    I'm glad the strip touched you so. When I'm working on this stuff I'm in such a vacuum (as evidenced by the fact that I'm responding to a blog from a couple years ago), and unless the artist tells me something I can only guess on how I'm doing.

    Thank you for reading the strip. I appreciate it and your reaction.

    ReplyDelete