I joined yet another social networking site the other day bringing my total up to about half a billion. I dunno why I do it, I just have to sign up for everything I ever find ever. I don't even participate in half of them beyond creating a profile, I've made no geeky online friends through any except Facebook and MySpace, and I'm sure I'm a member of a bunch that I've forgotten about entirely.
I've talked about this before, but I'm really shocked at the explosion of mediums in which one can set up an online identity. I don't know how people can be active in all their communities when I can barely respond to an e-mail within a week.
Then there's the mother of online communities that I had never tried before, so the other day I downloaded Second Life, but that didn't last very long. That thing's learning curve is way to steep for me and Kenneth Cole shoes aren't known for their tractiony grip. I made a guy, named him Tonks, and then spent half an hour trying to get him to NOT look like a gay monkey. I wanted him to look like me because I like myself and have no desire to "redefine myself" like so many people do online. I don't want to be an anime furry animal with blue hair. I wanna be me. Anyway, I failed at that and ended up with a 6 foot 8 inch skinny gay monkey-man with pretty green eyes.
Then I walked around a while and there was nobody to be found until some Asian girl appeared out of thin cyber air, walked up to me, and started asking me all these questions in broken Engrish. When I tried to type back to her, Tonks the Monkey lept into the air, started flying, and then fell 50 feet back onto the Asian girl, knocking her over a cliff. When he stood up and brushed himself off, his hair had disappeared. It was all very confusing, not to mention ugly and clunky, so I gave up and deleted the thing. I'm having plenty of fun with my first life anyway. And I officially don't understand what all the hype is about.
Anyway, the most recent community I joined and stuck with is Good Reads because I got an e-mail invite from the man who restored my faith in the bow tie. It's cute, it's all about the books you're reading and what you like. You hook up with friends (though I have but one) and see what they're reading and what they recommend and what you have in common. I dunno, it's still new to me.
Anyway I've gone on and on when all I really want to do is make a list of the communities I'm a part of. I'm not even active in most of them, but if you're in one or what to join one, make me your friend. I command it. And remember, my profiles and activity in these places makes me who I am more than anything else in the world including my personality. If I don't have any online friends, I'm a loser and you're responsible.
MySpace
Facebook
Livejournal (defunct, don't read it)
LibraryThing
GoodReads
The ORG
Gay.com
Connexion
Flickr
Buzznet
del.icio.us
That's all I can think of, I guess the list isn't as long as I expected. Whatever, those links provide all the information you need to know about me but this blog is important too so come back because there's always something new to learn. Let's be best friendsters.
You deleted your Second Life avatar-thing too? I HATED it. I had Second Life for about two days before I kicked it to the curb. I also have many "profile only" social networking accounts. My MySpace is active though, so it Friendster. I'm such a book junkie I have to check out the Good Reads site though. Found you on the "pond", I'll be back - I'm geechee_girl over there.
ReplyDeleteWhat's ORG?
ReplyDeleteI did the whole Second Life thing a year ago, and didn't even get as far as creating an avatar. I win at dropping out earliest :)
ReplyDeleteI had signed up to Good Reads, but then got spammed through them, plus I'm on anobii.com (Fence if you decide to sign up) for my books anyway.
And LibraryThing, and flickr, and del.ico.us and myspace and yeah, a whole load of others too.