
I've never done anything like this before, but I ran across this Once Upon a Time 2007 book challenge and I figured it was something to do. It meshes well with what I read anyway, and it'll get some stuff crossed off my list.
Anyway, I'm doing the third one, which is to read one book from each of the genres of folklore, fairy tales, mythology, and fantasy and then to finish with a reading of A Midsummer Night's Dream on, to be exact, Midsummer. That means June 21st. (Not to be confused with July 21st, better known to me as the Seventh Coming.) Anyway, here it is:
- Fairy Tale - The Onion Girl / Charles de Lint -- I don't know the first thing about this, I just stole it from someone else's list. I dunno who.
- Fantasy - Inkspell / Cornelia Funke -- The sequel to Inkheart, which was great. Cornelia is German and the books are about a bookbinder and his daughter, so I have no choice but to love them.
- Folklore - Folktales of Ireland / ed. Sean O'Sullivan -- Straightforward. I figure if I'm going to listen to the music, I might as well know the stories.
- Mythology - Ramayana / retold by William Buck -- Don't ask me what moved me to want to read this, I just do ok?
- L'Envoi - A Midsummer Night's Dream / William Shakespeare -- I'm pretty sure I read this in junior high, but I was stupid then.
My pace on this will be slowed by my 11 billionth reading of the Harry Potter books and the fact that I've been having a super hard time sitting still for more than 10 minutes lately. I can't focus on anything, I'll read a page in a book, get bored, watch half an episode of something, get bored, take a nap, go out for ice cream, take a shower, and realize only 15 minutes have passed. It's weird, and I'm shocked I had the patience to get through this blog ent
I haven't read The Onion Girl yet, but I love DeLint! Hope you enjoy it. Good luck with the challenge.
ReplyDeletei hear onion girl is good. i haven't read anything by delint, but i was going to one of these days. fantasy books are ipp.
ReplyDeleteread some murakami and love your surreal side.
chris 1 - Thanks for the encouragement. You are cool, I like your blog, it's more coherent than mine.
ReplyDeletechris 2 - I've decided not to read Murakami until after I read Kokoro... which I should be doing right now, I know, accept it.
So glad you are joining in! Am especially blad since this is your first reading challenge. Welcome aboard.
ReplyDeleteOnion Girl is one of those books that's on my list that I would really love to try to get to this month.
Wow, everyone's really excited about Charles de Lint. How is it I've never even heard of the man until a couple days ago? Am I the loser under the rock or is he some sort of little known genius?
ReplyDeletelol, I was the same way with DeLint. When I finally discovered him it was like I was the only one who hadn't heard of him. I highly recommend Greenmantle. It's my favorite of his.
ReplyDeleteI've read Onion Girl. And enjoyed it, so I've added a deLint to my list.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy.
Don't feel bad, I passed over De Lint books for years eventhough I loved the John Jude Palencar cover illustrations. Then I decided to go ahead and read one and was blown away.
ReplyDeleteI'm such a sucker for cover art. Not only does it heavily influence my buying decisions, but it can trick me into thinking a book is good.
ReplyDeleteWhen a book has an ugly cover, I have a hard time picking it up even if I'm really enjoying it. But nice covers... I don't know what it is, I just NEED to have them in my hands at all times. And every paragraph or two, I'll flip the book, look at the cover and think "Hee hee, look what I'm reading, it's so pretty!"
I haven't started it yet, but I expect Onion Girl's cover will have that effect on me. I do enjoy Palencar's work.
Since I've been checking out everyone's list I've been tempted to steal quite a few. The more I do the more I wonder why everone's list looks more exciting than mine.
ReplyDelete