Ok, ignore the fact that Library Journal is one of my main sources of entertainment news and check out this little blurb about Spiderman, the musical. (Marvel site)
One the one hand, Spiderman is my hero and Julie Taymor knows her shit. And if Legally Blonde can do it...
On the other hand, I feel like the superhero genre is not one that will lend itself to a musical theatre adaptation without coming off as some horrible mockery. I mean, think about it. The list of musical numbers... "Action is My Reward", "Pow! Thwack! Zowie!", "My Spider Sense Is Tingling", "Ouch, That Fucking Bug Just Bit Me!" Hmmm, actually.... ok I've changed my mind. Spiderman the musical is going to be AWESOME! I'm suddenly thinking I'd be a more desirable songwriter than Bono and The Edge, but I also hate U2 and that counts as a bias. Whatever, provided they manage to provide something less mediocre than their regular fare and it can sustain a 2+ hour musical, I'd say Broadway's ready for some springy, high-flying fun!
As an avid spiderman fan, I must say....this frightens me :p
ReplyDeleteYou got to be kidding! Seeing the poster for Legally Blonde the musical already scare the fandango out of me! I thought it's a trend that musicals got turn into movies - now it's the other way around??
ReplyDeleteGranted I am a geek and would love to see Spidery, but wow, it better be some "high-tech" swinging in the air to do Spidery some justice!
Well said.
ReplyDelete