Broadway Abridged did a shortened script of Spring Awakening that does a good job bringing out all the reasons the show was ridiculous and shitty. What it doesn't mention enough, though, is how the music sucks and makes no sense and serves no purpose (one can never mention that enough), but I'm not getting into it again.
I can't stand Spring Awakening.
ReplyDeleteI think the voices are not particularly high quality, and the music sucks.
..especially the lyrics. What a sappy piece of garbage. Glad you agree.
Saw Spring Awakening last night (was given free tickets) and am baffled by how this piece of crap can be getting such rave reviews. It sucked so badly that I considered leaving but kept thinking "it's got to get better". I've never been more wrong. I just Googled "Spring Awakening sucks" to restore my faith in humanity - hoping that others out there share my feelings. So glad you do and just as happy that I didn't pay for those tickets. Yikes
ReplyDeleteI just saw SA and came away with mixed feelings. I wondered if I was just being picky, because I'm very forgiving of a lot. My biggest gripe is the staging. What is up with putting audiences on the stage? Especially since there is no context for it. There was never a scene where it would be appropriate for a crowd or an audience close to the actors. And it is a period piece. It is a little distracting looking at people dressed in jeans on stage while the actors are set in 1890. I hope this is a trend that dies soon. And what is up with the microphones? Just because it is a "rock" musical? Nowdays all actors in all shows are miked. Again, a period piece where the actor reaches into his jacket and pulls out a microphone. And it isn't consistent. Often not all of the actors are using microphones. Why? Don't their voices count? It is just distracting.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks, but I will say I'm glad I didn't pay to see it. I think they threw the sex and homosexuality thing in to make up for lack of story. And what was up with the girl's dad beating her? That gave nothing to the story, and they never went back to it. On the one bright side. The You're "F"ed song was hilarious. I agree with the microphones thing too. What was up with that? And why was there just a board hanging from ropes to have sex on? Was that supposed to be a hayloft? I wanted to walk out, but stayed. Sadly.
ReplyDeleteI watched spring awakening today and I left with my girlfriend during the intermission. I was unfortunate to have plunk down 100 bucks a ticket to see this. Anyways, I didn't care for any characters in the play and I didn't understand certain things like the audience on stage and why the main character was on a floating platform at one point. Anyways, I agree it sucked.
ReplyDelete"I just Googled "Spring Awakening sucks" to restore my faith in humanity - hoping that others out there share my feelings."
ReplyDeleteThis is PRECISELY what I did. The biggest disappointment of all the musicals I've seen - and that's upwards of 30.
I suffered silently as an audience member of SA last night; the shallowness of character, the profoundly predictable plot, the overacting all made for one of the most tedious nights I have ever experienced in the theater. I remain extremely grateful to the composer(s), however: the music was so completely unmemorable that I did not have to return home with banal songs and witless lyrics drummed into my head. I was relieved to find that I couldn't remember a single tune from the show.
ReplyDelete