Spring Awakening: There Isn't A Subtitle Mean Enough

I went to see Spring Awakening yesterday, and I was excited. I really was. I had heard wonderful things from loads of people, and I saw a fun clip on YouTube of a high-energy musical number ("The Bitch of Living") with boys dancing on chairs and singing about sex. The musical is based on a controversial 19th-century play with lots of the original dialogue preserved but also with songs and cute boys. How could I go wrong? This was the perfect formula for exactly my kind of entertainment. When I want to like something, I can usually find a way to like it even if it's kinda mediocre.

But not when it sucks, which all that Spring Awakening managed to do. After the first act, I was seething and the thought of sitting through another hour of this crap (which I had to do because I wasn't alone) was making my head hurt. I couldn't sit still, and during intermission I had to run outside and call the only successful actor/singer in my life to leave some wrath on his voicemail because I knew he'd understand.

Here begins the review. I'm going to give things away later, but hopefully you're taking my advice and staying far far away from this show, so it shouldn't matter: Spring Awakening is without question the most overwrought piece of wannabe bullshit I've ever seen on screen or stage. The dialogue parts were tolerable and I even laughed two times, but I didn't give a shit about a single character, primarily because every time the music started, I wanted to gouge their eyes out with a nail.

That's the worst part of this abominable show: the music. And being a musical, it's kind of important. The "Bitch of Living" song? Yeah, that was the only thing in Act I that had the slightest bit of appeal, and even that wasn't nearly as good as I expected, the YouTube video obviously depending on editing to create the illusion of energy. All the other numbers were stagnant, boring, and meaningless. Every song had these RETARDED lyrics so overflowing with trite metaphors they were completely incoherent. "I want to sing the song of purple summer"? "Brush the pearls of my dreams and sing them to that stars"? What the fuck does that even mean!?!?! (I'm misquoting the second one, I know, but I can't remember how the shit really went.) The entire show was like this! With this crap "poetry" along with the show's theme of freedom from silencing adults and their sexual puritanism, the show should have been called Emo Livejournal: The Musical.

God, every time an actor pulled out a microphone I cringed. The lights would go down, these stupid colored stars in the background would set the "mood" and then the actor would stand there motionless singing their stupid little anthem that even fucking Tori Amos would roll her eyes at. (I hate Tori Amos, by the way.) Sometimes the brilliant staging would have the other kids walking around like little sheep in a Christmas pageant, but mostly you wondered why the rest of the cast was even there. The story was about three kids, and they were the only ones with any use. All the other characters had dumb little subplots that went nowhere and contained about as much character development as a Dick and Jane book. "See Ilsa get beaten. Run, Ilsa, run!" "See the gay guys' one scene. It is gratuitous. End, scene, end for the love of God END!" But no, the gay guys have to sing the same vapid song the leads sang in Act I that was all "Read the word of my body. You are my bruise." Jesus Christ.

The three leads (characters Wendla, Melchoir, and Moritz) had pretty good voices. Everyone else was just ok except the fat kid whose raspy crooning wouldn't get him onto American Idol so God knows where he came from. Sadly, Moritz eats it at the start of the second act in one of the world's weakest suicide scenes, and that actor was the only one with any personality even if it did become schtick early on. Well, piss, there goes a third of our talent. Then everyone sped through the rest of the plot (they wasted too much time with the horrible music in Act I so all the drama had to happen at once. I think people thought it was actually "intense." Whatever.) Oooh, expulsion, boarding school, pregnancy, abortion, predictable death, all accompanied by more idiotic songs having nothing to do with the people singing them. It's sad, I really think the original play might have been good before they dicked it up.

Also, we have to talk about the guy playing Melchior. He was an understudy, but hot and he had an ok voice and all. But he had this disgusting problem where he kept spitting all over the place. His singing was all consonants, and all 21 of them were accompanied by these spectacular misty effluvia. It was like fucking Sea World in there, and I felt really bad for poor Wendla having to do all these duets with him. He even drooled at one point, and I wasn't even that close to him to see it!

But I digress, that's not important.

God, and you should have heard the screaming when the show ended! I couldn't believe so many people bought in to this abhorrent production. Were they actually moved by those half-wit lyrics? The tired music? The uninspired staging? Maybe it was the plot that the creators of the show seemed to think unimportant. The fervor of applause and cheering had a particular quality to it. It was the high-pitched scream of fanaticism. The sound reminded me of Rent, a show that garnered such a fan base because of what it was about rather than how it was presented. The difference here is that Rent didn't suck. The audience's reaction was completely beyond reason, I will never understand it. There was nothing redeeming about this ridiculous production. Spring Awakening was inexcusable.

49 comments:

  1. Frank Rich ...Eat your heart out!!!! Ben Brantley step aside!!!!!!!

    I understand...trust me.

    your actor/singer
    Florida Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Creation is Your Guide for Education in Indiana, teen boarding schools,Christian schools,boarding school for troubled teens,summer camps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank Rich and Ben Brantley, huh? I bet if the NY Times reviews read more like my blog, more people would read them. Less fact and context! More snark!

    Balu - I see that you are from India and found me using a blog search for "boarding school." Just because I said the words once doesn't mean I need you commenting about Christian schools in Indiana, dumbass. This is what we get when we outsource viral advertising campaigns.

    And stop taking all the cataloging jobs, India! I know it's not your fault, but you're making a lot of American librarians very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much anger, I'm sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) 'So much anger.'

    It's just a writing style, but thanks for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sorry, but who exactly was this "only decent actor" because I happen to know quite a few...

    I saw the show two weeks ago and the music was actually one of my favorite parts, although i'll agree it was a tad disconnected from the plot.

    o and now we wait for the bitchy bullshit answer i'm sure is to follow

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and the spitting thing? yeah it's what most actors do. it's how we get what some may call "diction"

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were a few decent actors. The three leads all carried their own, and "adult male" was good.

    Sorry we disagree about the music, but it's not surprising, everyone in that theater disagreed with me. I guess I'm wrong and don't deserve an opinion.

    oh, and the spitting thing? I've never seen anything like it. All actors do it a little, yeah, but this was crazy. Why would I have singled him out if all actors are just like that? Maybe you had the other guy, but this guy's diction (yeah, I know what the word means, asshole) ate his vowels. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for confirming my opinion of this big steaming pile of pretentious crap. I wish I could have left at intermission. This is what gets Tony nominations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with you. "Spring Awakening" is (in my opinion) a RENT wanna-be and is a peice of crap. For anyone else who has already made a comment and considers themself an actor or singer I don't understand why you would like something like this. There is a ton of better written (and better performed) stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the actor kid who made the comment about the "spitting" thing,
    I am an actor as well and I go to Arts Academy. I never ever ever been told to spit to have better diction! It doesn't make sence. If you are loud enough you should be heard. (normally you swallow your spit, and swallowed spit never touches your vocal chords so you won't get a garbled voice otherwise you would sound garbled all the time). And if that were the case then you would be required to spit when you sing to and having taking private lessons I've never been told to spit to have better diction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for my spelling errors I've been going fast because could only be on for a couple minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Justin, you are my new friend.

    But I can't find you on Google and too many people share your name on facebook with profiles I can't look at. I'm a creepy internet stalker, by the way, sorry I didn't let you know off the bat.

    Anyway, thanks for your support. It's always nice to hear I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this is a little late to be commenting but I was very curious, all of my friends (I'm a theatre major by the way...not to state it as if to show you my credentials but read on and you'll understand) were raving about this play. It got me extremely curious so I researched it, the play that was titled the same that came before it, and even so much as went to New York to watch it (my curiosity gets expensive)Leaving the theatre, I didn't come away angry...or hating myself for wasting money on the tickets...but perplexed. It seems there is a trend nowadays of more and more musicals trying to show "true gritty everyday life". Though it doesn't just totally include musicals, I shall focus on that for the sake of relevancy (sorry for any spell check errors). Rent, believe or not, was not even the first to show this. Small time plays and musicals on off-off broadway had been doing it for years in a movement similar to the Realism movement in the 19th century. Rent got its steam (which I'm not bashing Rent, though i DID dislike it, i still respect it) and fame because it was the first to really be allowed to go into the limelight, beforehand it was all taboo. Sorry for the novel im writing here so I'll get to the point, notice the time-stamp..im tired. I think musicals like these, in their increasing numbers, have began drifting towards a cookie cutter template (similar to that you see in film nowawdays)..that is centered on the whole "the musical that doesnt hold back and shows you the truth about life". Really, I wouldnt be sureprised if there was a tony category for just saying 'fuck' in a musical now. It is what sells I suppose though I loathe turning this into an anti-corporation speech...again just posting my thoughts...almost as long as your blog..sory and goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best news is that I didn't pay for my tickets. Whats up with the gratuitous gay couple, oh and don't forget to make them comical, because we all know you can't take those people seriously. Gratuitous boobs and bums, bad music and everyone seems to like.

    I have to admit I hated English Patient too.

    Thanks for the entertainment I had reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree. it was total bullshit. I left during intermission. The actors reminded me of the precocious kids on the "Barney and Freinds" show- - -and the drums were all muffled and the music was derivative and boring. I too was beyond belief at the amount of applause following each stupid lyric. Simply beyond belief. The New Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me and my friend from Australia just went and saw it and we couldn't stop laughing after reading your review - you were 100% on the money. I have to add though what the hell was up with crazy movement/dancing of the lead at random points in the songs - seriously wtf to the whole show. We saw Legally Blonde last night and just thought that was a million times better! Thanks for the review it really did make us feel that there was a sane person out there (I think they must give fans free tickets or something because no way was I cheering after that piece of excrement).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saw this show last night - I was so disappointed. I guess the actors did what they could with the script and music they were given, but the none of it made any sense, the characters all seemed trivial, and all of the "humor" was lame. Har har, he's pretending to jerk off under a sheet, har har. Great.

    What most annoyed me was the fanatic applause and shouting from the audience after every song. IT WAS NOT GOOD! ANY OF IT! STOP CLAPPING, YOU MORONS!

    So glad I'm not alone in this

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just saw the show with my boyfriend and absolutely hated it...I am a Broadway junkie and this is by far, the WORST show I have ever seen. Completely hard to follow, bad music, nudity by kids that looked like they were 12, voices that weren't particularly special...I was checking my watch every 10 minutes. Total insult to Broadway and this Phantom of the Opera fan! Save your money, we just blew over 250 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw a number performed on the Tonys the year it was nominated and I nearly had a seizure. Things that made no sense:

    1) If the setting is 19th century Germany, why are they using 20th/21st century American vernacular? (Life's a bitch - can you say anachronism?)

    2) If the setting is 19th century Germany, why is it a pop/rock score? (That pesky anachronism again)

    3) Whipping out hand-held mics for the musical numbers? Sure, that makes total sense.

    New Broadway=crap. Hell, they even manage to ruin classics with ill conceived revivals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i just saw the play, searched google for "spring awakening is awful" and was delighted to find your review. it was seriously the biggest piece of shit theater i've ever seen. i hated the music, the pretentious false teen angst, and well, basically the ENTIRE plot.

    you're review mirrored my exact sentiments. at least i know i'm not alone.

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also just saw the show and googled "spring awakening sucks" and am relieved that I am not the only one who thinks it was a nightmare. Everything was bad. For those of you who have seen it and agree with me, all I can say is... I have been wounded. Spring Awakening is my wound. UUUUGGGGHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank God for your review. I saw the show last night and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. What could possibly be so compelling about watching these teenagers hump around with their naked butts, singing stupid songs like Totally Fucked, while flipping everyone off?? Pretentious! Boring! In the LA production, there were some hapless audience members sitting on the STAGE throughout the performance. The only thing that got me through the entire show was that I kept waiting for some audience member on the stage to walk off or pass out or something. The first show at the ahmanson this season was 9 to 5 which was so awful!!! No more season tickets next year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well... I agree with much of what you said. I think your criticisms are sound, and I wouldn't argue with most of them. Still, though, I have to say I enjoyed the show...

    I was kind of dragged there by my wife, and I was one of those 'hapless' folks sitting on the stage. And yes, the sound on the stage was kind of bad, band too loud, lyrics washed away. But sitting up there with the performers, I got to see how hard those kids were working, and being an actor, I kind of appreciated that. Maybe it skewed my take on the whole thing. But I downloaded the soundtrack afterwards, and though, yes, some of the lyrics are a bit weak and under-considered, I don't find it any more derivative than anything else on Broadway these days, and some of the songs are actually quite moving and nicely sung. Also, the orchestration was lovely, with the two violins providing a strange and seductive eastern European, and sometimes Asian atmosphere. I thought the set was really nice. The guitar player alone, if you pay attention to him, was worth the price of admission. I did get mooned, which was kind of funny. And spit on, too, but hey, it's live.

    So all in all, I share some of your criticisms, but feel like there is much still to enjoy about the show and what they are trying to do, despite the bad points. I've been back to see it once again, from the Mezzanine, and the sounds was better mixed and the words were intelligible, but having been on stage once, I missed feeling the energy of the performers from that close.

    I've seen plenty of musicals come and go on Broadway these last 15 years. All of them, to my memory, had something to recommend them. And I think Spring Awakening does as well.

    Anyway - i just felt like putting in a dissenting opinion, here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So, umm, I've seen it three times now.

    I love it because [as fair as mainstream Broadway shows go] it's quite unlike anything else. Kids instead of adults, honest kinky raunchy sexual torment rather than storybook romance, and rock rather than classic showtunes.

    Kevin and I had on-stage seats last time we went, and managed to lock eyes with Hunter during his 15-second-long "oh" face (just prior to intermission). Worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, I just saw the musical last night and also googled "spring awakening sucks" to see if I was the only one who thought that. I was excited to know I am not alone in these feelings. I couldn't even keep the characters straight in my head... I was like, "oh did the fat girl cut off her pig tails and get beaten by her dad and then run away to the artist colony and then come back in a long white shirt?" Then there's a dumb song and then Moritz kills himself... I kind of chuckled during that scene... The only relatively decent scene was the funeral; it had relatively powerful song and acting.
    - During the sex scene I was staring at "grandma" sitting up there with another older couple and just hoping she'd make a face of shock or disgust. I would have lost it! lol
    - Which character was the one jerking off under the sheet while reading about Desdemona, etc? Was that the gay guy?
    - None of the other characters' stories resolve.
    Thank God we only paid $35 each through TDF.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The first song is one letter away from revealing the entire show.
    Bore? Bored is more like it.
    And I agree wholeheartedly about the songs, unfortunately there weren't any nails in easy access.

    And this seems to be about the broadway production-in london, it isn't much better. believe me.

    One vaguely funny lyric, (there's a moment you know...you're f*****) almost as much innuendo as Witches Of Eastwick, and more rubbish than a year long trip to the sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad i read your blog b/c I almost went to watch it. I checked out some youtube videos about how great this and wonderfully conceived the show was, but was instantly annoyed by every clip I came across. I think you've just confirmed the suspicions I had about the show and have saved me one more night where, well I guess I wouldn't be doing anything anyway. But still. . .

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so glad I found this blog. THANK YOU!! I saw Spring Awakening the other evening at the Kennedy Center. Sadly, I bought into the hype. I thought: "Spring Awakening" has won 8 Tony Awards...it's got to be spectacular....

    It was a spectacular piece of crap!!! It just seemed like they tried to cram every single "teen life in crisis" issue into this musical....Suicide, losing your virginity, pregnancy, abortion, homosexuality, incest. There were so many issues that it pushed some of the more interesting characters into the periphery of the story and marginalized their roles.

    My other point of contention: I am a huge Duncan Sheik fan, but I am totally with you on the whole "purple summer" bit....when that trite piece of crap called "Spring Awakening" ended, I actually heard some 14 year old say that she cried at the end of "Totally Fucked"...perhaps this says it all...maybe you have to be going through puberty to actually "get" this musical and enjoy it.

    I can usually find SOME redeeming quality about a musical, but this is the first one that I outright HATED...the way the set was designed reminded me of RENT...but again...like you said...RENT was actually friggin good and the music was meaningful....hearing adolescents sing "blah blah blah blah blah" and watching spit spew out of their mouths as they try to convey "serious emotion" just makes my eyes AND ears hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've only heard the sountrack. I've not seen the actual musical yet. Maybe growing up in middle America has made me more receptive to the message of this show. Sexuality has been all but vilified in conservative circles. We grow up only knowing what we learn from our peers, just like the show. I don't know why you think all the lyrics are so abhor-able. I do know that at times i was not most impressed. But there were lyrics that were amazing. The song where Wendla reveals that she's been the victim of sexual abuse by her father... the music and the lyrics tell that story beautifully. "Mama who bore me" is a beautiful song. Maybe it's because I'm more attuned to the harmonies and melodies, but I think this song is great. I don't see how anybody who's even just been exposed to typical American conservatism can see this musical as having no value. The story is so real, though, at times, melodramatic (seriously, i don't know anyone who committed suicide because they couldn't figure out sex) but that's where art comes in. Hyperbole is a perfectly legitimate artistic device. For those in conservative, puritanical homes, i'm sure they feel utterly confused and distraught by their sexuality which they've been told nothing about by they're parents.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you hit the nail on the head.

    I saw the opening of the touring production in San Francisco, and had the same reaction. I had a really hard time staying for the second act, but managed to suffer through it. I had the same thought - I bet the play was interesting before this production team got to it.

    The best part, though, was that we were sitting right next to Steven Sater (for those who don't know, the librettist), and he was TOTALLY ROCKING OUT to every song, lip syncing along with every number and shaking all of the seats. I was cracking up. It was worth sitting through it all for that.

    Anyway, we saw American Idiot - the stage adaptation of the Green Day album, also directed by Michael Mayer - and it was remarkably similar to Spring Awakening. No story, ensemble cast on stage the whole time, etc. But the major difference is that the music was good. So sitting through an hour and a half of very little story is much more bearable when you've got a decent score.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are not alone, in fact you took the words right out of my mouth! I wonder about these people who give it great reviews... is it like some kind of Emperor's New Play? You have to say its good cuz everyone else thinks so and you want to sit at the table with the popular kids so you say its great too? What wrong with you people??? I know Art is subjective, but c'mon! This play is a load of crap!
    I saw this in NYC in June... quite possibly the WORST production I have ever seen. It sucks... and I love musicals, but this really sucked. I actually think you were kind. Really kind. You found some redeeming value, and I guess I laughed a couple of times too. Like you, I tried to like it. A friend bought tics and was treating us. I had to keep my disdain to myself.
    Thank God, after the show he apologized for picking out the show and making us sit thru it... he thought it sucked too! Then all polite conversation went out the window! All four of us were disappointed, opinions ranged from it was OK to it sucked arse (that would be me). Then, after we finally stopped laughing at the horror of it all, we decided to make the best of it by trying to find something good about it. The lighting, it was well staged... that's all I could come up with.
    Ok, so there are 4 people who agree with you, one an actor (she tried to be kind and kept saying it wasnt "that" bad).
    Thanks for the fantastically honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! I am glad to find out that some people realize we are no longer in a sex repressed society!!!! It is also unfortunate that the real play had a rape rather than a love scene. Want realistic --they should have kept to the rape scene. Teenage sexuality is dangerous because rape is so common (esp. for girls)! But, of course, we wouldn't want to portray anything negative about teenage sexuality. we only leave that for the real world! I guess I will miss this Broadway play. I just saw Wicked and it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ugh, horrible... just came back-left at intermission, thank God. Many people left, if fact. I came online to read my local paper's review and they gushed. I think they (and I) felt like we were supposed to like it. They said, "it is the coolest show ever to hit San Jose". I decided it wasn't for me. The songs are so unmemorable and the plot -eh, I'd rather watch the 49er game.

    I love all types of theater and have never walked out of a show.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't agree. I love this play.
    ...I do hate very, very many things in it, but I still find a lot that redeems it. Yes, almost none of the characters actually have any point, and the writing is TERRIBLE, but at the same time, I felt the story was moving and the songs are fun and interesting. You can't tell me "Don't Do Sadness" isn't fun to sing, hahah. The lighting was pretty great too.

    ...I still don't know anyone's names besides the Big Three, ahahah.

    *shrug* well, whatever.

    ..at least we agree Rent is good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. WHAT THE FUCK.

    You posted this review almost 3 years ago yet it still continues to infect cities around the country.

    I had to sit through the whole thing.

    I can't even think about it anymore. This is awful.

    PS two horrible words that are completely true:
    STANDING OVATION.

    ReplyDelete
  37. [url=http://vioperdosas.net/][img]http://vioperdosas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]buy discounted software, [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]All Software original[/url]
    [url=http://sapresodas.net/]kaspersky serial[/url] jewellery store software nero software
    p2 store software [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]free order entry software[/url] software by microsoft
    [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]best shop software[/url] sell softwares online
    [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]academic software licence[/url] acdsee eps convert
    oem software adobe [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]faculty software discounts[/url][/b]

    ReplyDelete
  38. I absolutely love this play!! You guys must have not seen the play with the original cast because the touring cast was suckish. I downloaded every song from this play and am a big fan of it. I don't know how any of you could hate this, it's one of the best productions I have seen :))

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm sorry. I disagree entirely.

    I think people have become far too used to the traditional musical to accept anything outside of their bubble of how a musical is supposed to look and/or sound.

    The songs don't add to the plot and the lyrics don't build upon the on-going action for a reason. They were written as inner monologues for the characters, not to advance the storyline. The lyrics are beautiful. Take some time to sit down and read them; they read like poetry.

    The microphones? It's a rock musical along the lines of Tommy and Jesus Christ Superstar. Their presence helps to emphasize that "feel" and also enhances the inner monologue theme by separating the characters from the other actors.

    Sorry. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I find that people that dislike Spring Awakening dislike a ton of other popular musicals that actually ARE good. Those tend to be the people that have only seen shows like Les Miserables and Cats and thought they were the best things in the world. They tend to look at the technical aspects and look at everything literally, when in fact almost all of Spring Awakening is built up on heartfelt emotion that makes the audience scream and clap endlessly. There are MANY reasons why Spring Awakening won 8 Tony Awards.

    ReplyDelete
  41. whatever. it sucks. no gettin around it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Reading this very late. Wrote a review last year saying just about the same thing. So...bravo for this. This show is fucking garbage.

    http://www.edgeonthenet.com/index.php?ch=pride&sc=&sc3=&id=92584&pf=1

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my GODDDDDD THANK YOU!!! I absolutely adore this review!!!! I HATED Spring Awakening. Just saw it at ASU Gammage on Friday and seriously wanted to pull a "Moritz" at the start of the second act. I kept thinking "It'll get better, it has to, come on"...nothing. NO good songs (for the exception of the "You're Fucked" song or whatever), depressing as hell plot with too many random and unnecessary additions, horrible stage presentation...ugh, I could go on. So glad others share my views.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Spring Awakening is showing in LA. I attended last Saturday at 8 pm and left as soon as humanly possible during intermission. The productions was stunningly cheap (maybe a hay bail in the hay scene??), the players untalented (fat teenagers? standing with microphones?), the clothing abysmal (little house on the prarie?) and the music forgettable at best (2 note songs strummed on guitar?) . Flushable, even. The bar is so low, apparently anyone can do a play. Our tickets were comped. People who paid should revolt. VW in LA

    ReplyDelete
  45. I just saw this in L.A. at the Pantages and googled "spring awakening sucks!" right when I got home to make sure I wasn't missing something. As many before me have said: this was garbage. Absolute crapola. What a waste of time and money. I cant believe everyone I know likes this play. Fuck! No decent songs. A bunch of crappy characters. Tony awards are obviously meaningless. Even crap-fest RENT was better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yup, the crap continues in Bloomington, IN. What a waste of money...

    ReplyDelete
  47. I saw Spring Awakening yesterday and hated it every bit as much as you do. In fact, I was so relieved to find your blog because it seems, if you look up reviews, that I am the only person in the world that hated it so much that I would have walked out except I was also there with other people. Your blog expresses every last sentiment I have about that show, besides BLECH! Thanks for writing it. Bless you, I feel vindicated.

    Seething a little less now. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  48. add the SCAD (in savannah) production to the list. Felt sorry for the parents who pay an arm and a leg for their kid to go to that school.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Jay from PhillyJune 22, 2012 3:36 PM

    Spring Awakening played recently at the Media Theatre in Media, Pa in suburban Philadelphia. I knew nothing of the musical, but the billboard on 95 South (of Moritz wailing into a microphone) suggested a 50s rock setting of bobby socks, poodle skirts and cars with big fins. SA is far from that, of course. I got tix as a b-day gift, the 4 of us were seated on the stage. We left the stage to sit in the regular seats at intermission. What an overrated piece of crap! None of the songs are memorable, and I like Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing". The overall message seemed to be that teenagers are horny, even in 1880s Germany. HORNY TEENAGERS? YA THINK? (Sarcasm off). Most of the characters' stories never resolve. I could go on for paragraphs but one particular thing that bugged me was the 2 boys falling in love. Never mentioned before, one scene where 2 boys kiss, and then never mentioned again. The audience wildly cheered like they were witnessing something bold and daring and revolutionary. That sentiment is about 15-20 years too late. Was that thrown in because it was supposed to offend older people? Sorry to burst that bubble, but I'm 41 and it didn't offend me. Rock of Ages, which is aimed at my age group, has two men falling in love and it's not played for shock. The band up onstage was a nice idea, but Rock of Ages does that too, and in Rock of Ages the songs are good. Most of the audience gave a standing ovation at the end. The 4 of us were bewildered. I googled "spring awakening sucks" just to see if others shred my sentiment. Maybe Spring Awakening could have worked as a comedy, but as dark raw piece of melodrama, it's just stupid.

    ReplyDelete