Winnr, Losr, Time Killr

I joined a new website. Because that's what I do.

This one is called Tumblr, and it has no e so it can fit in. Tumblr is an easy tool for building a Tumblelog. As a blog is to a journal, so is a tumblelog, as the Tumblr FAQ puts it, to a scrapbook. Here's mine.

Basically, I put this little bookmark link into my browser, and anytime I see something on the web that I want to share, I click it, and a dialogue opens. A smart dialogue. If I'm just on a page, a link dialogue opens. If I'm on a YouTube page, a video dialogue opens. If I've highlighted some text, a quote dialogue. And then I can edit what I want and the entry or picture or video gets posted to my tumblelog.

I've also set it up to automatically update with my Flickr photos, blog entries, del.icio.us bookmarks, and Twitter statuses.

The whole point of it is that it's ephemeral and has little to no commentary. All you use it for is to keep track of and share things you're enjoying but don't necessarily need to bookmark to go back to or analyze. For example, today I linked to a YouTube video of some fainting goats. I don't ever need to see it again; it didn't change my life. (SEMICOLON, YES!) It's just something I thought other people would get a kick out of, but not that I cared enough to put into this blog. So I posted it in my Tumblr blog and there it is.

I dunno, I think it's cool. We'll see how long before I forget about it. I'm gonna go take my blog feeds out of it, because now that I think about it, I don't want them there. But subscribe to it if you want to. Don't if you don't. But if any of you have a Tumblr blog, I'll so read it daily because it seems like a super way to discover some neat stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I have a policy of not to start something new unless I am pretty sure that I won't forget about it the month after. Many profiles and my previous websites die because I totally forgot about them or too lazy to go back. I don't know how you can keep up with so many different online accounts - I am amazed everyday that I am able to keep my blog alive~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one too. I've added you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete