
Ever thought you were doing one thing with one friend on a Saturday night, but it turns out you're hanging out with numerous members of the NYC Watcher's Council, the local Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan club? I have! Now I'm a chartered member of geekdom.
The event was the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Once More With Feeling Sing-Along, which started at freaking midnight and therefore didn't get me home until 3:30. I've never been awake and sober out in the city at that hour. It's an unusual perspective, of which I think I've had enough.
Anyway, the sing-along was super fun even if the audience wasn't very lively. I was singing louder than anyone on the Spike and Giles songs. They fit my range really well and make me feel like a real boy and a rockstar. I bombed the trivia contest because I am the dumbest person I know, so I didn't win the Cordelia "The Wish" action figure. I went home and cried about it because nobody realizes that the turquoise dress/cardigan combo she's wearing in that episode is one of my favorite costumes of the Whedonverse. (Also on the list are Dawn's slutfest get-up from Season 7's "Him"--"What is that dress made of? Paint?"--Anya's bunny suit, and that horrid pink thing Kaylee wears to the ball.)
Yeah... ok, anyway, that's what I did Saturday night. I'm actually proud of myself because I usually shy away from singing in public unless I'm intoxicated, but I really got into it without any chemical assistance. I don't care what you think of me, my Saturday night was cool.

Yesterday, I went to the Frick gallery with a lovely friend from college to remind myself that I don't know shit about art. Luckily, unlike last time when I was on a date with a gorgeous Icelandic boy I really wanted to impress, I didn't worry about being judged by my companion yesterday. I absent-mindedly put a finger on a table at one point and got yelled at by a security guard, but other than that the visit was pleasant and not embarassing.
Now I want to learn something about art history. My goal is that next time I go to an art museum, I want to share at least three (3) facts with whoever I am with even if it's stuff they already know. The best part is that if they're really simple facts, not only are they easy to learn, but also I can say them in such a way that it sounds like I know a lot more but don't want to overload my companion's plebian mind with too much culture. That will mean I finally have class.
No comments:
Post a Comment