I had lunch with my friend Harry today so we could get Buffy #5 at Midtown Comics, and we had a couple of intellectual, philosophical conversations that did not reach a conclusion, so I need to ask the Blog-o-Dome (blogosphere is so over) for some input to get these important questions answered.
First, I posed the question: Are people red meat or white meat? Harry posits that since we are mammals like cows and lambs and deer and horses, we should be red meat. Also, he says he saw it once on a true crime show. I countered that MOST mammals are red meat, but what of pork? "The other white meat." He suggested that pork is really red meat that is just KINDA white for the sake of advertisement. So does anyone know the answer to this?
The other issue we pondered was the origin of using the sound "nom nom nom" to indicate eating. We couldn't figure out why that was such a universal (to me, at least) device because nobody actually makes that sound when they eat. Except Cookie Monster. So now I am wondering whether Cookie Monster is the origin of "nom nom nom" and we are so used to it because it has been shunted into our brains since childhood. On the other hand, perhaps it started BEFORE Cookie Monster, who simply adapted it because he knew it would be a clear sign he was eating the cookies rather than smashing them to pieces and letting them fall out of his mouth.
I really need to know. Any answers?
Quoting from Britannica "Meat is the common term used to describe the edible portion of animal tissues and any processed or manufactured products prepared from these tissues. Meats are often classified by the type of animal from which they are taken. Red meat refers to the meat taken from mammals; white meat refers to the meat taken from fowl;..."
ReplyDeletei make that sound you know i do and so do fat people ok bye
ReplyDeleteAs for "nom nom nom" - infants make that sound - before they even start to learn language, so that's why it's universal. This piece of information is provided by my friend~
ReplyDeleteCookie Monster was employed in a kids show, he pick up that sound because he hang out with babies too much~
I'm not so sure that nom nom nom is universal. From a certain standpoint you could argue that nom nom nom results from yum.
ReplyDeleteSee, parental knows that the word yummy means that something is nice right? Parental tries to feed baby, and tells baby that this goop on a spoon/bottle/whatever is nice, or yummy. And because all parentals use baby talk, parental say "yummy yummy yummy" or similar, which may also become "yum yum yum". Baby, trying to imitate the parental, as babies often do, bloody mimics, goes nom nom nom. Parental, trying to fit in and reward the baby, repeats the nom nom nom. And so, over time, nom nom nom becomes used for eating.
See.
Wow. Everyone's so helpful!
ReplyDeleteExcept you, Chris. You're no help at all.
Thanks. I'm going to accept those answers as God's honest truth. Also, I'm never going to look anything up on my own again.
According the font of all knowledge for the terminally lazy(eg Google), NOM stands for Natural Organic Matter. I guess food counts as Natural Organic Matter, so perhaps the Cookie Moster was being highly scientifically accurate in describing what he ate. Though perhaps repeating it three times was a touch excessive.
ReplyDeleteLove the blog, btw
Thanks, tell a friend!
ReplyDeleteYou are smart. Though I kinda don't think cookies have too many organic materials in them.... because I'm pretty sure Cookie Man eats cheap-ass cookies from the dollar store. Some off-brand made of preservatives and food coloring.
Organic simply refers to the fact that something contains carbon, although somehow I think you know that.
ReplyDeleteIn the chemistry sense, yeah. But it can also mean material that comes from a living (or recently living) organism. Something that'll decay. That's pretty much how I meant it.
ReplyDeleteI am Bill Nye the Science Guy.
Onomatopoeia never make sense to me. Meow? Yawn? Buzz? None of those things sound like that to me.
ReplyDeleteWhen my dog barks too loudly and we remind her to use her inside voice, I swear I've heard her say the word "woof".
Sometimes my cat says "meow."
ReplyDelete