The Statement of the Great Mint

This morning in Grand Central, I saw two women walk into eachother's path. When they noticed eachother, they both stopped, looked irritated, and went around on their slightly less merry way. Big deal, right? Typical morning traffic.

The thing is, these two women looked exactly the same! Their noses, their red hair, their cheekbones, eyes, fashion sense, scowl--every line and wrinkle was an exact clone. I was amazed, and they didn't even notice! These were well-kept women, too, who obviously spend a fair amount of time in front of the mirror every morning. I watched for one of them to at least do a double take and acknowledge her doppelganger, but nothing.

It's true that people have a hard time noticing when someone has a resemblance to themselves, probably because we're so intimately familiar with our own features. Even when it's pointed out, the most you'll probably get from someone is "Oh, yeah, I guess maybe." But I'm not sure how to impress upon you that these women were exact copies.

I don't know if they were just too wrapped up in getting to their crappy jobs or what. New York commuters do seem to have a certain glaze. (I know I often find myself at work one minute and home the next with no memory of the interim.) It's just so sad that they missed it.

Being adopted, I have this fun avenue to fantasize that I have a twin brother wandering around somewhere out there. It's one of my favorite things to daydream about. (That and my Princess Diaries-inspired "I'm the last remaining blood kin to a billionaire royal family in some other gay-friendly country and I get to marry a sexy prince and be rich with him and produce no heirs" fantasy.) Anyway, I'm always secretly on the lookout for this brother of mine because I am convinced that our body chemistry and secret psychic connection you have driven us to live in the same city.

If I ever found him, I would probably freak out and faint, but he'd do the same thing so I wouldn't be embarassed. And then we'd get to talk and see how we turned out different (because it doesn't work out in that bullshit Sister Sister we're-the-same way, I'm way too much like my parents for that to be possible. P.S. Tia rules, Tamara drools.) Maybe we'd get drunk and make out, I dunno.

The point is, I certainly wouldn't scowl and stalk off. Clearly these women have no imagination.

Y'know what would suck? If both of my fantasies came true. I bet my twin would be 20 seconds older than me and would get to wear the crown, and I'd be stuck being some shitty duke or something. And then I'd have to kill him, and the only benefit of that is getting to impress you with my knowledge of cool words like fratricide.

1 comment:

  1. Making out with your twin brother? that's your fantasy?? :p

    Family Feud and trying to get the crown, you are so prepared to go watch Stardust~ lol

    ReplyDelete