Xanadu

xanadu

Xanadu! Xanadu-woo-woo! Now we are here IN XANADU-OO-OO-OO!

Ok, I saw this show last night, and it was the most fantastic thing ever to grace a Broadway stage. It's based (a bit loosely) on that ridiculous movie from 1980 with Olivia Newton John. The show last night starred Kerry Butler and Sex.

We had on-stage seating, which was a ton of fun. First, I got to stare at the sexy man's ass the entire time. (I guess for the sake of Google search hits, I should say his name is Cheyenne Jackson naked. He has a lovely voice.) Anyway, it was fun, and I made my Broadway debut as a dancer! They gave us all glow sticks so we could get up and dance during the Finale. Mine was blue and I still have it with me glowing in my bag. Ooh, also, the girl playing Calliope sat next to me at one point and I ate her popcorn and she complimented my hair because we were both fake redheads.

Anyway, I don't know anything about theater and I'm not going to pretend I do. But every one of those actors was spot on and having the time of their life. Kerry Butler was hilarious and charming, and I sorta want to marry her. My friends were commenting that the finale was tighter than it had been in the past, which is good. I didn't really notice because I was too busy trying not to look retarded with my glow stick.

So anyway, I wanted to recommend this show to everyone who might ever consider being in New York. But you should see the movie first or it won't be as funny. You might also want some background in theater, Greek mythology, 80's fashion, camp, and gay culture.

In fact, just BE gay for a night, ok? I won't tell.

4 comments:

  1. That review really made me laugh. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Thanks. I like your pink blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! Nice blog!! Man, wish I live in USA! Would love to see Xanadu on Broadway!! Who knows, maybe someday!! Anyway, nice blog, nice posts!! ;-)

    see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're sweet. And yes, you need to come to the States even if you only stay long enought to see this show.

    ReplyDelete