Unoriginal Whiny Gay Blogger Crap Based on Sweeping Stereotypes, Canned Emotions, and a Severely Limited Homosexual Worldview: My Annual Allotment

In Which I Am Deluded Enough to Believe I Am Different From Everyone Else

The results of my poll have been overwhelming. Of one participant (so far) 100% of responses indicate that indeed everyone in New York City is an emotional fuckjob.... at least among gay men, which is pretty much what I meant.

As it turns out, if you're not a loser with no future, then you're a crazy workaholic who only has time for a little after-hours bump-n-grind as long as you're up for your conference call. If you're not falling in love with everyone you meet at the drop of a hat, then you can't commit to more than a "you seem cool" because you're seeing three other guys.

You've all dealt with this. Then, FINALLY, you find someone who wants to properly date, but after going out a couple times, oh it turns out they have GROSS emotional problems and run away or smack you (true story) or otherwise make you wish they didn't exist. What the hell is everybody's problem? Sex and the City was supposed to be fiction, people!

Look, I know not every guy I meet is going to be a candidate for Mr. Righthood. I have no problem with a one-night stand or a shallow, just-for-fun relationship because sometimes that's all that something's gonna be. It takes all types, right? Those things are fine as long as it's established (even non-verbally) that that's all the relationship is. But doesn't anybody want to try out the long-haul thing?

Let me rephrase that. Doesn't anybody my age who's not socially deficient want to try the long-haul thing? Because I've met enough internet-trolling basement dwellers taking their monthly break from World of Warcraft to try and cast Lvl 16 Romance on me to last a lifetime. (...said the member of the NYC Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fanclub.)

I'm also well aware that some people are just not into me. I mean, fine, we go on a date, you change your mind. Whatever. But sometimes, GOD, can't people smell chemistry? If we spend an awesome evening together doing dinner and drinks and walking without a break in the lively conversation and then go home and spend an even more lively night together... WHY not call me back? But, fine. If we spend all week together fawning and gazing and being more comfortable than we've ever felt with someone so early on in a relationship, why suddenly stand me up with no explanation?

It's a matter of respect. That's what I'm upset about here. If you don't want to be with me, ok, but don't put on a show. Don't act all perfect gentleman on our first couple dates only to call me a couple days later asking to come over and fuck. Don't just disappear without a trace when it's clear we owe each other more than that. Don't pretend I'm the only person you're seeing if all you want to do is casually date a few people. I won't care! I won't care until I get invested, and I'll only get invested if I think you are.

Since I moved to this city, I've dated exactly two people who I was into and who were relationship-oriented, level-headed, and respectful. I remain friends with both of them. They didn't work out, but you'll never catch me bitching about them. Everyone else I find myself liking has played some sort of game that involved not being up-front with me. And I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. Amen... I could write more but I think that word sums up my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word. Remind me not to date in NYC. Actually, I had a great time last time I was there, but then I wasn't looking for Mr Right, more like Mr You'll Do Right Now.

    I too hate people who play games, but, alas, it happens all too often. If it is any consolation, it's the same in London. Only the guys aren't as hot.

    ReplyDelete