Everyone hurry up and complain about how Brokeback Mountain didn't get the Oscar because Hollywood is so homophobic! Make sure you mention that it got all those guild awards so omg it should totally have won and I'm so mad INJUSTICE INJUSTICE! What's it take for gay people to be noticed in Hollywood???
Shut up. Ok, thanks.
Brokeback Mountain was a brilliant movie. Why? Because of it's brilliant direction, brilliant screenplay, and brilliant performances. The direction and screenplay were both honored. Oh, and it was also a great movie because it was progressive and all that. That's great. Maybe I have to recheck my Swahili-Esperanto-English dictionary, but I don't think "Best Picture" translates to "Most Poignant Social Commentary" in any language. And even if it did, Crash would probably still have won.
Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Brokeback to win just as much as the next I'm-so-gay person. It really really had a shot, too. I don't know why it didn't. Maybe it was politics, or maybe (dare I say it?) Crash was actually a better movie. I don't know, I'm ignorant about film. The point is, I'm about to go check my blog subscriptions, and I'm terrified of the outcry I anticipate hearing from my "Gay Blogs" folder. I already read one entry like that today, which is pretty much what prompted this.
So it did't win. Don't act like they crucified Gay Jesus. Everyone still recognizes that movie was amazing even without the "heavier than it looks on TV" statue sitting on the producer's mantle. The future of the gay rights movement doesn't ride on this movie's recognition. We can't take the world by one gigantic duststorm. And don't forget, the Academy doesn't share your agenda, and they don't owe you anything.
That's right, I said agenda. The Gay Agenda is real, it's just not what the assholes think.
Ok, I'm done. Now I want to talk about everyone's dresses, but I'm going to do that with my boss instead of with you guys.
But before I go, I want to encourage everyone to donate to the American Association for Cancer Research. I hear they're investigating that horrible malignant tumor on Charlize Theron's gown, and I for one would like to see a cure.
No comments:
Post a Comment