Oooh, what if Carol played Alice???

alicewonderland

Ok I have a surprise for you all but I can't give it to you until I find the cord that connects my camera to my computer. I remember coming across it a million times in recent months, but now that I need it there's no way to find it.

Anyway yesterday I watched Alice in Wonderland on DVD despite Netflix insisting it would be a "Long wait". It stars Natalie Gregory, the worst child actress ever, and Carol Channing at her best.

This was a two-part TV special in the 80's, the first part based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and the second on Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There, both were an hour and a half long. We taped them, and I was obsessed with them. I watched them over and over and over until my dad taped over them and I swore I'd never be happy again. But now some freak decided to release them on DVD even though they're terrible and have no value beyond nostalgia, but I don't care I'm so excited! I Netflixed them in case they sucked all these years later, but they don't so I'm buying them.

They completely massacre the books even though lots of dialogue is directly imported, but if you're going to get all upset about that, spare us all your complaining and don't watch this. It's terribly written (though the teleplay is by Pigman author Paul Zindel), Alice is awful, and it has these revolting little songs that have nothing to do with anything. Tweedledee and Tweedledum, played by husband and wife duo Eydie Gormé and Steve Lawrence, sing about shaking hands, the Mad Hatter sings about the virtues of laughter, and more perplexing of all, the red and white queen, in the middle of a conversation about how cool it is to be a queen, bust out in a little song about math. The math song rocks, by the way: "Do you know addition, what is one and one and one and one and one and one and one and one and two?" That's Carol Channing. (I know the line comes from the book, but the song itself still has no context.)

12181_0004

Speaking of Carol Channing, even when I was 10 she was my favorite part of this production. It's the only thing I've ever seen her in, and its influence was enough to make her my personal hero. I've dreamt of her, I smile at her name... she represents to many wonderful things to me, and it's only her role as the White Queen that I have to go by. Anyway, she's fab and has crazy hair and flaps her arms around singing "Jam tomorrow, jam yesterday, but never ever jam today" and I just have to get up and dance. She's perfect. Every word, every gesture. I would rewind and watch her scenes over and over to the point where little white lines would appear because the tape was getting damaged. From the website I linked above:

When Carol Channing asked whether Allen thought she should develop an English accent for her role as the White Queen, the producer wailed, "I don't want any accent. I brought Carol Channing to do Carol Channing..."

Yes. She did Carol Channing.

Oh and wait until you see the special effects, they're fantastic, especially the part where she cuts the cake and PING it's back in one piece again.

The most amazing result of my obsession with this film was that when I finally read Lewis Carroll's books for the first time and every time since, I cannot read the poems "Old Father William" and "The Walrus and the Carpenter" without singing them like they do. It's awesome. Sammy Davis Jr. does the best "Old Father William", his most brilliant performance ever. I know I said the songs sucked but also, they're awesome.

Anyway, none of you will like this unless you've seen it as a kid, in which case I don't have to tell you how amazing it is. But now you all know it's available so go buy it immediately ok bye.

steaparty

11 comments:

  1. Oh my God...I remember this, but didn't realize it until the last picture you posted. I watched this at school when I was a little kid. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, I remember this too. Loved it. NoW!! They need to put the old O.G. Readmore ABC Weekend Specials on again - or even before that with Willy & Lester.

    I want to see Zach & the Magic Factory again SOOO BAD (with Jane Withers as some crazy old Aunt). There was also some crazy one about a house flooding, and a puma or lion getting in -

    Ahhh. Memories.

    xo,

    WDL

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved, loved, loved this growing up and my cousin had the second part on tape.... we watched the other day and i found it on amazon.com and had to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also watched had a gentle obsession with this film as a child. I loved all the songs, except "I hate dogs and cats!" because someone made the mistake of telling me the singer got eaten at the end of the song. I somehow made it to 16 or so without realizing there was a disney version of the book, and this landed me in quite a few fights in primary school over details of the film.

    The Jabberwocky (yes I had to google for spelling, twice) is scary to me beyond all nightmares of spiders, falling, nakedness, global warming, myspace heists or whatever people are scared of anymore to me.

    I have the the original VHS my aunt recorded of this, and the commercials are half the fun of watching it. My favorite:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yklZeEbFE&eurl=http://tvadsview.com/category/mcdonalds/

    Oh the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally remember that commercial! I was always upset by the "my dumb brother" line. I think it was the whole boy/girl rivalry thing I was at the right age for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched this in my theator class, only geting throue the first part, and have bin look to buy it since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just came across your site as I was "Wiki-walking" and trying to find out whatever happened to Natalie Gregory (seriously...she disappeared!). Anyway, when I saw that this was all you had ever seen Carol Channing in, I decided to DEMAND that you see "Thoroughly Modern Millie". She makes that movie. She is divine in it! I was also obsessed with this movie as a kid, and I kind of did the happy dance at the store when I saw that someone was carrying it on DVD, even though, you are correct, it is so aweful!! But, there are little gems in it, aren't there? It's a full-on nostalgia fest for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie Gregory was not the worst child actor ever! She practically memorized everyone's lines on the set of Alice in Wonderland and was may I remind only you 9 years old when filming this production. She went on to do the voice of Jenny in Oliver's Company, went college for physics on an academic scholarship, and disappeared from the grasps of the internet. Her decision to leave show business robbed us of her potential to be a great actress.

    I agree with your that Carol Channing is an American treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I just happened to stumble across this. I was the child who watched this if not everyday, very close to it, on a taped vhs. I kept that tape for YEARS! It was worn out and one day I saw just sitting on the shelf at Walmart out of the blue. I did not hesitate to buy it and still LOVE it even though I am 27 & have children of my own old!! I have to say that even now when I read the poems in the boo, I too hear them in song in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Dave - Natalie Gregory was brilliant in anything she was in. Hell, if she was still a teen actress today (quite obviously she is not) and she was shooting a movie based in Australia, I'd go and sign up as an extra.

    ReplyDelete