I had this really great idea for something to write about, and I thought of all these really funny things to say, but you're just going to have to make it up yourself because I forgot what it was about.
I know what I can talk about. I can talk about this book I've been reading for weeks now. It's less than 200 pages long, and the reason it's taking me forever to finish is because I hate it and it's impossible to read because it doesn't mean anything. There are words, and then there are sentences and paragraphs and entire scenes (many of which have to do with disgusting, deranged sex), and I can make sense of those things, but when you look at the book as a unit, it's this complete mindfuck, but not in the interesting way, in the why won't this crap just end way.
Unfortunately, I get the feeling that other people will like this sort of shit. The book is Naked Lunch. (That link goes to the Amazon.com page, but don't read their reviews, read mine. They are crap reviews. My review is best.)
I read the back of the book and found out that it's about drug addiction. And I could tell the first paragraph was about that, so I guess whoever wrote the back of the book read the first paragraph. I'm not sure where it takes place or who the narrator is or what is real and what he makes up. There are some names that keep coming back, but half the time you don't know who's doing or saying what so nobody gets developed right. I think the themes are addiction and being a psycho. One section had one scene after another of yucky gay sex. At some point, someone thought it was a good idea to catch on fire... but I think he came alive again and turned into his sexual partner who he had just killed. I was reading that part at a Starbucks in the West Village, and I was distracted by an attractive barrista, so I'm not really sure I followed that part as well as I could.
I'm a pretty good reader (because, duh, librarian!) but this book is obviously too hard for me. A lot of people on Amazon.com hate it too, but unfortunately, as previously discussed, those are crap reviews, so you should only take mine seriously. I hate this book, but I'm determined to finish it for some reason. I'm kind of hoping it will come together at some point, but I kind of hope it doesn't because I like to hate things.
This is kind of a crap review too, but I don't care. My mind is going really fast. I wrote a long e-mail to a friend, and then I wrote him another really long rambly one about my night last night, and I'm trying to resist writing another because I realized I left some details out. Anyway, the point is, typing really fast feels good right now even though what I'm writing is bad and pointless and makes me sound like a 16-year-old, which I'm not, I'm 23. So you probably don't believe me when I say I know what a good book should be like, but I do, and Naked Lunch is not it.
No comments:
Post a Comment