Speaking of celebrity racks, let's take a look at the cover for the long-awaited (for me, at least) Issue #5 of the Buffy Season 8 comic. The entire issue is devoted to a decoy Buffy, which is why the figure is pulling her skin off. Most unsavory.
But ok, back on topic. Do you not find hilarious the rip in her top revealing a glimpse of Buffy underboob? What's that all about?
I don't read a lot of comic books. In fact, if you don't count The Sandman series, I've read exactly 4, and I bet you can guess what they are. (Hint: We're discussing #5.) Yet, I still am hyper-aware of all the ridiculous boob-enhancing outfits those impossibly thin superchicks vacuum seal themselves into. And is this really necessary with our Buffy, who may I remind you was created as a symbol of feminism?
I'm not offended because I don't effing care about exploiting Buffy. It's just kinda funny.
But what does bother me is that... ok... we're dealing with a seasoned warrior who has kicked the ass of every demon she has faced for 9 years. Are you honestly telling me that homegirl ain't wearing a spors bra? I'm not a girl or a fighter, but it seems obvious that if you're gonna be punching and running and being thrown across the room, you're gonna want a little support.
Am I wrong?
I'm not sure if a sports bra was totally necessary for SMG in the telly version, but for that "enhanced" version, defo in need of some support.
ReplyDeleteA fellow voice of sanity in geekdom. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure that decoy Buffy doesn't need the same kind of support that the real Buffy would need. Obviously this doppelganger has some sort of robo-boobs.
ReplyDeleteIt is noted Specifically in the story that this decoy Buffy could use a little padding in her bra to be more like the real Buffy (in that particular department), but yes, I must agree that regardless of what she has (or doesn't have), one would think she would still wear (at the least) a sports bra.
ReplyDeleteStrangely enough ... until I visited this particular blog, I didn't even notice that particular aspect of the cover. My eyes were completely drawn to the removal of the mask.
I will say though, if the character on the cover had the build of a Power Girl (for instance), then I might have more readily noticed that cut in the shirt ---- so what I'm really saying her comic editors, is that because of the good quality illustration and design of said image ... there wasn't the need of cleavage, etc. to sell the comic. Wow. Image that.)
Skullduggery - :-) Yeah, that bra-padding line stuck out to me because I had the cover on my mind. And yeah, I think you're absolutely right. It was out of place because the comic already rides on quality.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Skullduggery. I just posted a review of this series in my (nascent) blog and hadn't noticed the rip. I love the artist so much that I'm willing to overlook this silliness. Maybe it was a reference to the un-Buffy...underboob...Okay nevermind.
ReplyDelete