So at about 1:00 today, and after 2 years of deliberation, the California Supreme Court announced that it is unconstitutional to disallow same-sex marriages in the state. Want some tiresome legalese? Granted. My friend directed me to p. 120-121, which is a relatively readable portion.
I'm assuming this is exciting, yes? I'm hesitant to pick out a cumberbund just yet because a) I'm politically/legally ignorant, b) I don't know if I want black, white, or grey at my wedding, and c) the issue has had this torrid history... and I also haven't gotten to read any reactions, so I'm forced to come up with my own opinions, and that's never very easy for me. :-/
But my informed, worldly lawyer friend mentioned that he believes the CT and U.S. courts may use this in upcoming decisions. NY also has a pending decision, if I'm not mistaken. The three states plus MA make up a fair portion of the U.S. population.
So I suppose I'll go ahead, pop a cork, and drink to the Supreme Court of California. Thanks for being rational! I knew republicans weren't all bad. Now let's just see how this plays out.
UPDATE: I just realized I never linked to an actual news article so here you go.
No comments:
Post a Comment