After such a strenuous morning of a Christmas party and having my computer broken so I couldn't do work for an hour my lunch break was a welcome respite. I wasn't hungry because of the party (and I'm eating at 3:30 at my second library-sanctioned work blowoff a.k.a. the tech services Christmas party) so I wandered around these adorable little kiosks they have set up in Bryant Park.
All there people are selling stuff like scarves, candles, ornaments, baby clothes, and waffles. One woman had a stand with a bunch of clove boxes. That's boxes made of cloves. They smelled like cloves. And also had clove ornaments and a monkey on a spring that hangs from the ceiling.
From her I bought a coat hook with cats on it. It's super cute and now I won't drape 5 coats and 10 scarves over my kitchen chair so that when my retarded cat walks by and touches a dangling scarf tassle, the weight won't cause my entire chair and all my clothes to fall on her. Sort of a shame, really. I like when bad things happen to my cat.
I couldn't decide between the cat hook or a set of hooks with the sun, moon, and a star on them. They were both cute metalwork things, so I tried to think of people's reactions to them. The sunmoonstar one got "Oh, it's nice" because it was, and the cat one got "Jesus Christ, I can't believe you bought coat hooks with fucking cats on them are you in a knitting club?" So I bought the cat one.
Then they gave me a free ornament made out of cloves. In a bizarre fit of psychic awareness, she gave me one shaped like a music note. I'm not sure what to do with it. Now I feel like I have to buy a fucking tree to accomodate her gift.
Oh, and SPEAKING OF BEING UNAPPRECIATIVE, I'm about to be it again. My grandma (dad's mom) sent me my Hannukkah gift, and not only is the check smaller than last year (when it wasn't big in the first place... think "Less than a DVD") she didn't even send a card this year. Like gee thanks, I see you're doing Christmas for the whole family at under $100 this year. And I don't care if you think I'm mean and an asshole because my mom agrees with me and my grandma has a lot of money and please at least write a note or something so I know you Hannucare enough to remember my name.
Oh and my dad's decided my gift will get stolen in the mail, so he's forbidden my mom from sending it and will instead give it to me in the middle of January when he's here on business. So there goes the greedy part of my holiday. This year I got almost enough money to pay for a CD and a travel mug (it just came) with a note saying "Happy Holidays from the Library and if we catch you using anything but this mug you are totally fired!"
What I most noticed this season was that you didn't bother to congratulate me on graduating nor did you pick up the phone when I tried to gently prod you to be polite. Nor did you check my livejournal. So I see how it is.
ReplyDeleteYour Hanukkah gift this year from me is spite. Mmm, tasty spite. You can use it to bake yourself a spiteful holiday cake topped with pure, unadulterated bitterness.